Mangosuthu University of Technology MUT Hostel
Mangosuthu University of Technology MUT Hostel – See Details Below:
The Student Housing Unit’s mission is to provide a home-away-from-home environment. Each residence hall offers an opportunity for students to meet people from diverse backgrounds and cultures, and develop a sense of community within their own building. The Student Housing Unit supports the core functions of MUT namely teaching and learning; research and community engagement by providing an environment that is conducive to living and learning. The Unit subscribes to the concept of diversity and multiculturalism and respect for differences within the student body and in accordance with the University’s vision, mission and core values. While each residence at MUT has a unique design, features and amenities, all residences provide reasonable quality accommodation, facilities, and resources. Both on-campus and off-campus student residences offer similar access and control systems, have established governance, a formal management structure as well as a basic and reasonable accommodation that is conducive to living and learning.
The university has a total of 27 residences;
Main Campus | Executive Hotel | Barnard Close | Astra Hotel | Palmerston Hotel | Ponyton House | 385 Smith Street | Fessifern Grand lodge | Victoria Embankment | Colonial | Adrain Road | Sha Jahan | Bombo House | Pilglen Mews | Seaboard | Berea Court | Plaza Lodge | Lonsdale Hotel | Durban House | Carmel Court | Botanical Bliss | NRB Field Street | Ubombo | Ark Royal Gladdington
Villa Mzimba (Private accommodation) | Radd’s Lodge (Private accommodation) | The Palace (Private accommodation)
Most of the rooms in the residence halls are double occupancy, but there are some singles, triples, quads, and a few rooms designed for five people. Each room is equipped with a twin-sized bed, dresser, closet, desk and chair for each occupant. There is also Wifi connectivity. While amenities vary somewhat from building to building, they generally include kitchens with microwaves, laundry rooms, TV and study lounges, and meeting areas.
All residences employ professional staff who provide creative, social, educational, sports and cultural programmes to residents. Each residence has a Warden who is responsible for managing a residence. He/she is responsible for ensuring conducive living[MM1] and learning of students in a residence. He/she works with the House Committees in all residential programmes. They are responsible for the following; ·
- Attending to student well-being
- Attending to student queries
- Being the first line of communication in all
- matters pertaining to students in residences
- Offering assistance during student programmes/functions
All residences have Residence Assistants whose primary role is to help students in the promotion of the Out of Classroom/residence life programmes activities. They are full-time postgraduates students who are selected on the basis of their previous developmental role in student activities.
House Committee members are elected annually by students in respective residences. They represent students’ views within the student residence management structure. Each residence has a committee of 8 House Committee members who work closely with Residence Assistants in organising extra-mural activities.
Each floor in each residence has a Floor Representative “floor reps” who work closely with House Committee members in channelling students views about their living spaces, particularly on maintenance issues.
FACILITIES & SERVICES
- All residences have washing/laundry facilities available within residences
- All our residences have study rooms designed for group discussion as well as an individual need
- Eight of our leased residences have computer facilities with 24-hour access to the internet, which was installed to assist students to do their academic activities, while all other residences have access to wireless internet.
- On-campus residences are disabled friendly residences and they have a computer laboratory that is designed for their specific needs.
- All our residences have TV rooms which is open 24 hours a day and have DSTV channels
- All residences have security personnel who ensures the safety of students and have cleaning staff who keeps the residence in acceptable hygiene standards.
- All students who reside in external residences are transported by the university contracted bus services who pick up students at the residence gate and drop them at the campus gate.
RESIDENCE REGISTRATION & APPLICATION
Residence application and registration takes place in accordance with the Student Housing Policy which is available on the university website. All first-year applicants are advised to apply through the Central Applications Office (CAO) as spaces will be allocated to those who applied through CAO and followed the necessary
FEES STRUCTURE, BURSARIES AND SCHOLARSHIPS
CONTACTS, LOCATION, AND CAMPUSES
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS AND REGISTRATIONS