University of the Free State UFS Gateway Orientation 2022
University of the Free State UFS Gateway Orientation – Check below:
What is Gateway Orientation?
A week prior to the start of classes, all first-years have the unique opportunity to enter the Gateway to succeed in their study careers and in university life. The annual Gateway Orientation for First-Year Students is a programme of student life. The Programme is packed with a series of learning events that introduces students to campus and faculty life. These are designed to help every first year student to adjust to the university environment, introduce students to the new environment; and to teach and transfer skills to achieve academic success and prepare students to be well-rounded graduates.
The Gateway Orientation experience includes a series of exciting lectures to guide your understanding and expectation of university life. Furthermore, it assists you to orientate yourself on campus and to all the resources available to support students. The experience includes exciting student-life activities but also first-year sports events such as athletics and swimming, and cultural events amongst many other outcomes-based activities.
All these events provide you with well-structured opportunities to meet new friends and establish friendship networks that will support you during your studies. During the Orientation experience, you will also be introduced to a peer mentor in a student mentoring programme to further support you in adjusting to university life.
Why is Orientation important?
The Gateway Orientation programme introduces you to important service, programmes and resources that will be of vital importance to become a successful student.
What is Orientation?
The Gateway Orientation programme is a programme that facilitates a number of activities to new students during the two weeks directly before the classes of the first semester start. These activities are purposefully designed to orientate new students effectively to the university environment and in this way, assist their transition to higher education.
Is Orientation Compulsory?
• Yes. It is packed with information that will be helpful to success at university.
Is Orientation only for students who live at university residences?
• No. Orientation is for ALL first year students.
Who should attend Orientation?
• All first entry students at the University of the Free State.
What can you expect when you attend Orientation?
• You will receive information, tools and resources on how to navigate campus and university life.
• You will be taken on a campus and library tour so that you don’t get lost by the time the
• You will be connected to a community and make new friends.
• You will receive a FREE gift with attendance to each session (FREE UFS T-shirt, Gateway Diary, UFS Pen, Booklet, Lanyard and Cardholder, and a whole lot of great giveaways and prizes to be won for participation)
When is Orientation taking place?
• A week before classes start. Please see the Programme for the complete programme for venues and times.
Where is Orientation taking place?
• At the campus that you will be studying at. Please see the Programme for the complete programme for venues and times.
How will attending Orientation Benefit you?
• You will:
o Make friends before the semester starts
o Know your way around the campus before the semester starts
o Know about various campus activities
o Receive help with class time table
o Allocated to a college community
o Experience student life.
o Be assisted with any other important matters before your academic semester starts
What is a College at the University of the Free State?
• A college is cluster of student communities created to facilitate interconnectedness amongst
our diverse student population. You automatically become part of college through
belonging to one of the following student communities:
o On-campus residence;
o Day residence;
o Accredited off-campus residence; or
o Gateway commuter community.